Pages

Wednesday 20 July 2011

Patchwork by Ellen Banda-Aaku Book Launch - 27.07.11


The Centre of African Studies and African Peoples Advocacy cordially invites you to the launch of the novel Patchwork by Ellen Banda-Aaku, with: 

Ellen Banda-AAKU, Author, Patchwork

Dr. Mpalive Msiska, Reader in English and Humanities, Birkbeck College

Sylvie Aboa-Bradwell (Chair), Writer and Executive Director, African Peoples Advocacy

The event will be followed by a reception and a book-signing session (copies of the book will be available for purchase at £12).
‘1978 became “that year”. The year I lived at the farm. The year the Rhodesians bombed the camp. The year Ma stopped drinking and got married. The year Tata dumped Mama T and moved in with Gloria. 1978 was also the year I met and lost Sissy.’ 

‘Sometimes people do things even they don’t understand.’ Sissy nods at me, enticing me to agree. ‘If I could choose who to love as if I was picking a mango from a tree, I tell you I would leave Zu to rot. I would leave him to die.’ She lets out a harsh laugh, then says, ‘But when it comes to here,’ she thumps her chest, ‘I can’t control my heart. Pumpkin, one day, when you grow up, you’ll understand. Love and hate is same-same.’

Weaving together the stories of three generations of women, this novel is a patchwork of love, jealousy and human frailty set against a backdrop of war and political ambition. A remarkable journey that takes us deep into the heart of a family both fractured and bound together by their love for one man.

ADDRESS: The Khalili Lecture Theatre, School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), Thornhaugh Street, Russell Square, London WC1H 0XG FREE ADMISSION - 18:00-20:00

All welcome. Please arrive at 6PM for a 6:30PM start. Please RSVP to ensure your place by emailing Angelica at ab17@soas.ac.uk


Please note new new venue no longer at the African Centre or on the 29th July.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails